Juneteenth Culinary Celebration Chicken Seasoning Recipes
As promised everyone, here at the three chicken seasonings that were used on the menu on June 18, 2022, for the Culinary Celebration of Black Women Chefs in Houston, Texas.
Poulet Kreyol - Creole Chicken
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp dried basil
1/2 tbsp dried thyme
1/2 tbsp black pepper
3 tbsp sweet paprika
1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp celery salt
1 tbsp salt
1. Mix everything together in an airtight jar.
Tempero Baiano Brazilian Spice Blend - FRANGO APIMENTADO
3 tbsp oregano
2 tbsp paprika (regular, sweet or smoked)
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tbsp thyme
1 tbsp basil
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg (optional)
1. Combine oregano, paprika, cumin, black pepper, ground coriander, thyme, basil, onion
powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and nutmeg.
2. Stir until thoroughly combined.
3. Store tempero baiano Brazilian spice in an airtight glass jar or container.
Nigerian Chicken Suya by Fusion Craftiness
A traditional Nigerian street food, Suya is meat on a stick. A spicy
peanut seasoning is rubbed into the meat and served as a
condiment after cooking over an open flame. This meat on a
stick is portable and fun to eat.
PREP TIME:30 minutes; COOK TIME:10 minutes; TOTAL TIME:40 minutes
1/2 cup dry-roasted peanuts (optional)
1 Tbs paprika
1 Tbs ground ginger
1 Tbs garlic powder
1 Tbs onion powder
1 Tbs brown sugar
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
4 Tbs vegetable oil
2 lb of boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut thinly and into 1-inch strips
1. Place the first 9 ingredients in a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles crumbs.
2. Place 1/3 of the mixture aside and use for garnish.
3. In a large mixing bowl place the spice mixture, oil, and chicken. Massage the spice mixture and
oil into the meat.
4. Place meat on skewers, packing them tightly so as to not dry out the meat during cooking. Place
skewers on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet with a rack.
5. Broil skewers about 4 inches under the heating element in your oven and cooks 3-5 minutes per
side. Be careful not to burn or overcook the meat. The meat is done when the meat is no
longer pink inside and juices run clear. Rest the meat for 5 minutes.
6. Sprinkle fresh lime juice on meat, and sprinkle reserved spice mixture on top.